Friday, September 25, 2009

long winded, as always.

I should stop by more often. This started out as a response to a comment left on my post here. It's gone a little long so it'll get its own post.

My max access was back in school, after that I had a couple friends with a copy. They moved, or switched to other things and I drifted away from CGI for a little while as I had nothing. One day I came across something that reminded me of Blender. I had downloaded version 1.73 or something like that, I've mentioned it elsewhere before. The new version was much more powerful, but still a PITA as there was no included documentation. However in the decade or so between the initial introduction the internet had become more mature, and much faster. Youtube, wiki, many more user sites and tutorials helped answer the mystical and mysterious functional questions I had regarding Blender. Both the program and the community had grown into something that deserved another look.

Blender, for the price, can't be beat. It's made and continues to make giant leaps forward in terms of features and function. I see the same "hobbyist" sentiment elsewhere as well. People dabble in makeup or sculpting as well. I know some who have opened a business after a few years of dabbling.

I don't expect Blender to take over the industry as some in the community do, but they've made 2 short films, a game, and are working on another film with it. Many other people have used it to make short movies and games. Hell, a company used it to do a full feature film. The community support and development is.. perhaps rabidly anti other software at times, but very active. I don't see that as a negative for the most part, the bashing is uncalled for, but the passion isn't bad.

Look at it this way. Since I have no idea of your age, experience, or anything like that assume for a moment you are a young teen with no money but a decked out computer and some interest in games or CGI. Your parents already dumped $3000 on a computer so they won't buy you another high end program that you may lose interest in. Along comes Blender, a small download that will run on damn near any system and provide you that gateway into the world of CGI, as well as possibly programming.

Is that a bad thing? Getting a large jump start into a field that is quite complex and ever changing? Learning a complex program that shares many of the same basic functionality as the others but with no financial investment (at first) that also requires some effort by the user as it rarely has up to date documentation (a major drawback as I've said in the past) isn't quite the negative you make it out to be. Were I better with the program and able to talk some friends into it I'd consider a summer camp type of program for children based around Blender, as well as some of the other open source software that the community lauds. Audacity, the gimp, and some others. They may not be the hollywood blockbuster behind the scenes programs, but damn I wish they had been around at their current levels when I was in high school. Programs like them were far outside of what I could afford. Couple those with a mini DV camera and you CAN make a movie today.

I do believe that the there is quite a bit of truth behind "It's not the tool, it's the craftsman." Blender might force a few extra steps or have a harder time getting there, but it will do the job.


As for why I use it, let me run down a few of the reasons.
The cost. Free.

The learning. I'm forced to learn new things, to not stay still. The learning curve is pretty steep, or at least it was/is for me. I had a couple of classes in 3DSM when I was in school. I screwed around with it a little bit, but I never actually took classes in it to learn the real basics. With Blender I was forced to go back to the very basics and start from there. I'm far, like drifting in interstellar space type far, from being good at animation, modeling, or damn near any of the things I can do with it. It gives me something to focus on, that is getting better and doing things the right way.

The features. This goes hand in hand with cost. Nothing else comes close to the features at this price. Besides the basic modeling and animation you get a video editor, a node system that can be used to adjust pictures or do some color correction, fluid simulation, sculpting, and a very active user base to name a few.
In the end I guess it comes down to personal preference, need, and justification. I can't justify dropping thousands on something I use in a production rarely. I'd rather put that money towards tools or things I use constantly as opposed to the rarely used program. If max were in the $1000-1500 ballpark I'd consider buying it and starting from scratch. Same goes for many of the other programs out there that are considered "professional" and mainstream in this area.


With the 2.5 release I think Blender will be making another large leap away from the "hobbyist" world. How large remains to be seen, and how successful will be determined to a large extent by the users of other programs such as max, maya, and the rest that dominate the industry. The future of its hobbyist status will be determined by the community. All those 13 year old kids growing up with it and using it may take it with them into their jobs in the future.



In the end it all boils down to what gets the job done.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

'My appologies if you though I was bashing you. (I really wasn't!!!)

I was just curious as to why you were going with Blender, (aside from the fact that it's free).

Still, Blender has a definate stigma, that'll be hard for it to shake off. And, because of that, no matter how many short-films are with it, it will constantly struggle for acceptance. The only way around that, would be if a MAJOR production company, (i.e.: ILM, or WETA), openly announced they had incorporated it into their workflows. Unfortunately, that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

But, if you took any offense from what I said, I appologize.

Clevelandfx said...

Well, isn't that #*@$&@*(#$& special. I had yet another long winded comment that just went POOF thanks to firefox crashing! Yeppers, use that too. :)

Sigh. Let's try again.

I didn't get a bashing vibe at all. I've got a thick enough skin where an anonymous internet posting doesn't get under my skin.

I both do and don't get the stigma. To me it's almost the same as fighting over an OS. I've got windows, mac, and ubuntu studio running here. I can almost get around in all of them with some proficiency, the linux being the worst for me. Are there plenty of people in the world arguing over that? You bet your ass there are. Does it matter? Not in the big scheme of things. Are any of them correct? Perhaps. To some extent, but a one size fits all anything hardly ever works out well.

As for Blender being stigmatized...why? Is it because Blender is an open source program that someone could modify for in house use? Is it because it's free? The rabidly pro-Blender community? If mudbox were given away free would it be stigmatized? Any of the others? If it's the cost, does that stigmatize all lower cost programs or something like Particle Illusion? Is there a price level where a program is considered "good" or "professional"? Where does the stigma actually come from? It seems like it's almost getting into a "'wareism" area. Are fords stigmatized because there are more expensive cars out there, or cars that are easier to operate or modify? I won't quite take it to the extreme of racism, but I don't think that's too great a stretch.

If you can make an animated movie with Blender, or with Anamato (or whatever it's called) what difference does it make? You may take a little longer with Blender, but you didn't shell out (assuming it can be bought) the tens of thousands of dollars for their software. Heck, you could do cel animation too and bypass the software debate for the most part. You're making pixels do what you want, telling your story with your characters, in your settings in ANY of the programs. The Incredible Mr. Limpet could easily be made with Blender today. Couldn't it?

Without actually talking to all the artists at all the companies who can say if it's not used? What would it take to be accepted? How much of any project would need to be done with it? I'm most familiar with windows because I "grew up" with it. Given that kind of thinking, isn't Blender, being used by many "youth" today, at least those not grabbing a cracked copy of the "accepted" software, going to have some place in the future?
This goes along with one of the points I made in the post, as well as the last point, that the learning will transfer. Familiarity, speed, and productivity aren't bad things.
Who can say who the next ILM or WETA will be? Maybe some kid pounding away on Blender in his basement will start it his junior year in high school. If they grow with the program and know it inside and out who's to say they won't BE the next ILM, WETA, or Pixar? Both those companies didn't just appear. The concept of "professional" also needs addressing. What is it? Making money by doing this? If so I can probably point out quite a few things that have made the Blender user some money. Does it have to be a Hollywood production? Does that version of professional mean movies that aren't made in hollyweird aren't professional? I'd love to see someone like ILM or WETA or any of the other big names drop the Blender bomb and announce they use it. If only to see what kind of surge that would create for downloads. I'd love to see what the in house programmers are folks could do to help it out. I think it would be in their best interest, not the companies selling software, but the folks using it or employing them.

Clevelandfx said...

part 2:

Now, given that, I'm open to use whatever. If you work for any of the big accepted companies and are authorized to make me a deal I can't refuse I'd be happy to add something else to the tool box, email me. Frankly there are at least a few things that I liked and could do better in Max. Video post filters such as glow and, going back the several versions I used, the particles had some great stuff I can't do or haven't figured out how to do in Blender yet. I know it's made some advances since I used it. I always glance at the various books when I come across them to see what kind of new features or changes they've made.

Heck, that goes for anyone else, you have a license you want to get rid of for pennies on the dollar email me.

Really, think about where CGI came from. Deluxe paint on amigas....video toaster...Blender is far beyond that. Heck, Elephant's Dream even managed to make this list. and given time and skill it would seem that Blender is probably capable of almost everything on that list.

Honestly, I'm not that concerned with stigma surrounding a program. If it does what I want it to, by itself or with additional help to some degree, I'm happy. Being free I'm even happier with it. Constantly evolving and open to anyone to use, and modify, aren't necessarily bad things either. The rabid anti-other software community does have its drawbacks, but also some positives. They lean a bit too far towards the cultish and capitalism is bad areas for me quite often, but to stereotype them or pigeon hole them all is just as bad. They doeagerly contribute to enhancing the program and you have to consider the user base is world wide. You'll never get everyone to agree to anything.

Is it the be all end all? No. Is it an extremely powerful program that opens the world of CGI, story telling, and an industry to those without the money for high end, high price "professional" programs? Hell yes. Does it do what they say it does? Like everything else, as long as you know what you're doing it does...with the occasional crash or glitch. Will it ever "take over" the industry? If I knew that I wouldn't be sitting here typing another (replacement) long winded post speculating (and probably overlooking some of the points I made in the post that went down the memory hole) on lots of things. I'd be learning coding and hiring folks to make a knock off to sell for big bucks so I didn't even have to worry about it. Am I overly concerned about using it and being stigmatized? Not really. Different strokes for different folks, and different tools for all us fools.

I think I essentially covered most of the stuff that went poof, at least to some extent.

No need to apologize. Nice to actually see that someone reads this stuff sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Duuude, whatz with the long diatribe?

You could've said it all eazier by saying, "I like it, it doez what I need it to, the price iz rite, and who givz a hoot abot the "stigmas"?"

'Short, sweat, an to the point. Lick my Moma uzedto say, "Now therez time for pie!"

Tom said...

The internet's filled with long diatribes.

Now...about that pie.