Friday, April 10, 2009

two in one day

Blender has decided to release version 2.49. Somewhat big news as 2.50 is a major overhaul of the program and was expected to be the next big release.

The powers that be have decided to hold a contest for this version's splash screen and in my continuing effort to learn the program I took the opportunity over the past day or two to make up an entry.

This is A Fish Out of Water, my entry made within the rules of the contest, which you can find over here, along with all the entries. Some of them are quite impressive.


This image is the raw render of the scene. The fish is a bit Dr. Seuss like, probably because I had watched Horton Hears a Who the other day and that style was still in my mind.


This is the finished composite version after running through Blender's node system for a little processing. Depth of field, color adjustment, and glow on the head light.

The original idea behind this was a "toilet shark" similar to the sewer alligators of urban legends. From there I wandered into the whole "burial at sea" thing that gave me the idea for 6 pallbearers dressed like this guy with a small fish coffin standing on the toilet seat, zombie goldfish pouring forth from the toilet, a flying fish with angelic halo and eerie lighting from the toilet. Eventually I settled on the fish out of water theme, partially because of my feelings towards learning Blender. I'd had some classes in 3D programs back in school, and dabbled with 3DSM years ago, but that was the extent of it. With Blender I felt like a fish out of water. Surrounded by an unusual interface, powerful features, and something I didn't have to feel guilty about not paying for. Bumbling my way through teaching myself how to use it I've been getting used to it and feeling slightly more comfortable.

I still have a long long way to go with the program, let alone the basics of modeling,but that shouldn't be a reason not to at least enter.

No comments: